Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Review: How I Met My Countess by Elizabeth Boyle

Author: Elizabeth Boyle
Title: How I Met My Countess (book #6 in the Bachelor Chronicles)
Genre: Regency Historical Romance
Publisher: Avon (Imprint of HarperCollins)
ISBN: 978-0-06-178349-4
The Romance Author's Verdict: 5/5 Stars

Blurb:
The Earl of Clifton intended one day to find the perfect countess ...
. . . then he met Lucy. The improper daughter of an infamous spy, Lucy Ellyson saved Clifton's life and taught him everything he needed to know about serving his country . . . even how to fall in love. He vowed he would come back and make her his unlikely countess, but the war kept them apart for too long, and when he finally returned, she'd vanished.
Lucy hadn't gone far—living a new life in the heart of Mayfair. But proper Society hasn't taught her how to mend her scandalous ways, and when Clifton happens upon her, she's landed in the sort of trouble that only a hasty marriage can solve. He's more than willing to be the hero she taught him to be and make her his countess, but all too quickly, secrets from their past threaten the passionate love that ignites them both . . .



The day is yet to come when I am disappointed in an Elizabeth Boyle book. Its no small wonder to be able to pick up a book by an author and know without a doubt that you'll be sitting up late at night, frantically flicking pages, just to find out what happens next.
I will admit, this book started off a little slow. When we were introduced to the hero and heroine, the Earl of Clifton, and Lucy Ellyson-cum-Lady Standon, I felt a little in the dark. They had a past together and their accidental meeting on the street was full of innuendo about things I didn't quite get. Then in the following chapter, we flash back seven years earlier. At this point, despite my obvious love of Ms. Boyle's work, I found myself worried. Was this going to be one of those back-and-forth kind of stories that leave me with a headache from trying to remember where and when I should be?
Of course, I shouldn't have worried. From that point the story stays in chronological order leading back to the chance meeting in the street and then tying everything together quite cleverly.The little hooks and hints Ms. Boyle masterfully drops into the story keeps you guessing right up to the last few chapters. And even once you have mostly worked out the entire story, you still find yourself hurrying through the pages to get to the unavoidable confrontation, just to see how the characters are going to react.
As always, Ms Boyle has written a fabulous historical romance, and I'll be going on to read Mad About the Duke as soon as I can get my hands on it.
If you love a historical romance with something a bit extra; espionage and adventure, then you need to read Elizabeth Boyle. You'll never be disappointed by one of her books.

No comments:

Post a Comment